Monday, September 24, 2012

club fitting

if you go back in the history of my blog you will find a post "club review" that I told you about my irons...and how i was fitted for them. I continue to be impressed with the performance of these irons. i mentioned in that post that i thought there were bad clubs and good clubs; with most of the major brands being good.

a lot of you are aware of the club fitter that was playing on gwat in d flight...who offered a free spining as a raffle that i won. i had my irons and woods spined, noticeable difference. a lot of you are also aware that this particular club fitter had some issues, a head came off of one of the marines clubs as well as one of mine. due to this, i would not recommend this club fitter.

i am a self admitted tweaker...i like to tweak my car, swing and clubs. i have been through a few drivers in the 6 years of me playing golf...and finally i found a driver that i was actually hitting well...the titleist with the rip shaft. well on my trip to mb to tweak my swing, it snapped the shaft...omg, i did not just do that!

most of you know that i have also had several different pga teaching pro's... one who stole $300 from me, one who changed my swing about 12 times, another who stole $100 and one who wanted to change everything about my swing...and then finally joe bernat, who was gold...

all of the above is to preface this...

cow farmer suggests i go to his "guy" to get my titleist re shafted. so that is what i did. i go to see the shaft guy who's shop is located at a popular driving range on capital boulevard in wake forest, nc. he tells me that he is not just going to slap any old shaft into my club, he is going to have to "fit" the shaft to me. he interviewed me for about 30 minutes and then had me hit one of his demo clubs. i hit the demo club like a pro! he used a gizmo on the shaft to determine my swing speed...204, 206, 209, 211 and 214. we then went back to discuss the results and he told me that the shaft for me was a certain model...not the one that i just hit very well, but one that was similar in flex and weight. he is the club fitter...so ok. i decided to have him do my fairway woods and my hybrid as well...as this type of shaft is matched so all of them would "feel" the same. i went home that night and decided to not have the titleist re shafted but rather have him build me a club with the same head as the demo club...all in all an order of over $800. he told me it would take a few days to get the shafts and then a few days to build...i could not wait! i hit that demo club about 280 at the range with a nice little draw.

i got the clubs to the driving range as soon as i could...to find out that there was something bad wrong...short left, short right, low, high, a good one. I hit about 40 balls and would say 3 were good. omg, this has to be me...bad day. come back next day, same result. very frustrated, these shafts are not "fitted" to me...possibly a mistake in the fitting process? not sure...one more trip to the range...same result. I could pull my back up driver out in the middle of this mess and hit one right down the middle.

i call the club fitter and schedule a meeting...telling him the results of my 3 trips to the range. i get there today and he has a guy hit the club to prove to me that there is nothing wrong with the club...it is a good club. well the guy is a pga teaching pro that could probably hit any club in the entire place...i am thinking to myself, what the hell does this prove. i never said the club was bad, i just said i cant hit it... so i hit it...not bad but still not good. the pro then tells me that i have adapted my swing to fit my crappy back up driver an now that i have a good club all the defects in my swing are evident...he would be more than happy to help me with my swing. really did he just say that to me? so the club fitter takes me back to show me how crappy my back up drive was by putting it on the bench and flexing it..a bit of wobble...and i am sure he thought it was going to be more than it was.  then he put on the new club and showed me how straight it was. i explained to him that i was a bit disappointed that i was being told that the problem was my swing not the club. he told me i should take up the pro on his offer to give me lessons...i told him i was not driving an hour to get some guy who i don't know and at this point don't like to show me how to swing to hit these clubs...he said it would be beneficial and worth the time. i told him i was not going to do that...he then looked me in the eye and told me that i would need to get my swing fixed if i wanted to be able to hit his clubs.

i guess i will need two swings one for my irons and one for these super duper special clubs that can only be hit by people with super duper special swings...what a load of bs.

not once did the club fitter think that maybe he made a mistake or that we should check to see if the fitting process was correct, it is a shame that people cant admit mistakes, but instead go on the defensive and point fingers at other people. i don't have a perfect swing, not even close...i want to get better and will, but really a club that cant be hit unless you have a good swing...but my cheap tm driver i can? i don't think i missed a fairway at prestonwood with my cheap tm.

you can go to this place if you want, but my suggestion would be to run in the opposite direction as fast as possible. typical poor customer service, smile and be nice as long as everyone is happy, a little issue arises and treat you like poo poo.

until next time don't for get to golf your balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment